February 29, 2012

DIY Starfish Art

Since we have been working really hard to complete our living room makeover this week, I decided to create a small diy art project for one of the smaller walls leading to the dining room.  I am coming to the end of my budget for the living room, so I am trying really hard to make every dollar count.  Too many ideas, not enough Mula!  A vicious cycle :)    I looked around the house to see what I could come up with and this is what I found...
 

So that got my mind a thinkin'...

I took two small canvases (leftover from a previous project), Sea stars (2 lg. and 2 sm.) that I purchased in a pack of 12 from Marshall's, and some flat white Krylon spray.  The great thing about a blank canvas is that you can hot glue all sorts of different objects to it in order to create 3 dimensional art.  For a really cheap price too, whoo hoo!


I threw them on a tarp and did 3 coats of white. I waited about 30 min- to an hour in between spraying.  In the pic above, it looks like the starfish and canvas are white, but the canvases are kind of a gray white color and the starfish were cream.  So, I wanted a nice white for both.




When everything was dry, I got the next items together...



Using a piece of twine, I measured the distance from one side to the other and I included the distance of the side since I wanted to wrap my twine over the ends.  Then I cut three additional pieces of twine and laid them out on the canvas.



If you are Wonderin' why I have the starfish on before the twine, well...   I had originally decided to just have an "all white" canvas.  White starfish, white canvas, but that didn't do it for me.  So I thought of the twine ball I have, just waiting to be unraveled and put to use.  I ended up having to work my twine underneath the starfish, but it worked out alright.  Apparently, I think backwards, but that is nothing new my hubs couldn't tell ya! 



So, this is where you will glue down the twine to both ends of the canvas.  If you have any hanging over after you have hot glued it, just trim it up.  Finally, throw a few dabs of hot glue under the starfish and adhere it to the canvas.   And finito!!







  Here they are in their new home.


The only problem is, besides that they look a little wonky in this shot, is that I thought these two happy twins would look better as triplets.  Don't ya think?  I think the wall is tall enough to have three and it would make more of an impact.


So, it says "NICE,"  but I want it to say "Oh Yeah,"  :)   I can't be too fussy about since I made it "for freeeeeee"! 


Linking to:
Tip Junkie handmade projects

4 comments:

  1. What cute art this is! So simple to do to! Love it! ~ Kim @ Sand & Sisal

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is such a neat idea. So simple, yet gorgeous and striking. Well done!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks. That's the kind of artwork I like to do, just quick and simple! I appreciate the feedback :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think they are great. I'm gonna make them. I think you could do three if you choose. The walk is tall, nice..

    ReplyDelete